Farrowing pens - Loose - Flooring
The floor of farrowing pens for loose sows can be designed in different ways, depending on the pen type and prioritization of needs. A part of the floor can be established as solid or drained floors, which can accommodate the sow’s need to perform nesting behavior, and can aid the sow to identify a resting area. A solid or drained surface also minimizes the risk of shoulder wounds. Alternatively, the pen can be fitted with a fully slatted floor in combination with plastic and cast iron slats.
The slatted floor has an opening width of max. 10 mm, preventing the piglets from getting caught whilst at the same time ensuring a good manure flow and pen hygiene.
5 reasons to choose plastic slats from Jyden
- Plastic slats ensure a warmer floor for the piglets
- Many combinations with plastic flooring
- Optional foot hold, improving safety on slippery floors
- Surface ensures good manure flow and hygiene
- An easy-cleaning surface
5 reasons to choose cast iron slats from Jyden
- Iron cast slats can handle high weight loads
- Slats with a pointed surface provides good slip safety
- Slats with a smooth surface provides good manure flow
- Slats with a smooth surface helps to ensure a dry bedding
- Made of GGG40 spheroidal graphite, ensuring long durability for the slats